Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia – France is in an uproar because of sardines. One woman was even reported to have died.
This was due to botulism after eating sardines at a restaurant last week. A total of 12 people were also reported to be undergoing treatment, with five using breathing apparatus.
The incident took place last week in southwest France. Preserved sardines give rise to botulism, a serious neurological disease usually caused by consuming improperly preserved foods.
“Restaurants in Bordeaux, southwest France, have preserved the sardines themselves,” health authorities were quoted as saying on Wednesday (12/9/2023).
“The nationality of the deceased woman, aged 32, has not been determined,” it added AFP contained a statement from a source who said that most of the victims were foreign nationals.
Botulism can be fatal in five to 10% of cases. This is due to the bacteria clostridium botulinum which can appear when preserved foods are sterilized.
In other cases, it can cause muscle paralysis that lasts for several weeks. However, the most immediate danger comes from infected respiratory muscles.
Meanwhile, local newspaper Sud-Ouest quoted the restaurant owner as saying that he had thrown away several jars of sardines because of the “pungent smell” that came from the containers when he opened them. But others “appeared to be in good condition and were given to customers.”
France Chaos, Mayor’s House Burned While Wife & Children Sleep